Monday, July 22, 2019

Mental Health Day

One of the things I love about the place I live is that so many things are within easy walking distance. I was feeling emotional Saturday and decided to go walking and stop for some tea and sketches. I have a nice collection of pu-ehr teas which are especially soothing when steeped using a Gong-fu ceremony. So I packed up my favorite tea (2014 Silver Needle), a gaiwan, a thermos of boiling water and walked to the community park. There were boys practicing on a ball-field and a bunch of tiny tots in bright orange shirts running back and forth between two soccer goals. I thought the tiny orange shirts dotted over the grass would make a great sketch. Wouldn't you know, as I took my seat all the kids left the park and maintenance started dragging the dirt in the baseball field. Oh well! It was the mid-70s, breezy and sunny. At least some crows showed up to add some life to the sketch! I need to learn how to brush in shadows better.
Ballfield in Community Park. Noodler's Lexington Gray in water brush, Noodler's Black ink in Jinhao Shark pen. Sakura Koi watercolors, 140lb. Canson XL paper.
After the tea was gone, I walked to the public library to pick up some sketching book requests, went to Michael's and then picked up a quick pizza. The closest outdoor tables to walk to were in the City Hall courtyard. I went there to eat, read and sketch the courtyard. The complexity and perspective of the tables and chairs were frustrating. Must learn to simplify and focus my sketching.
I spent most of the day, but walking, tea and sketching were just the ticket to bring me back to my happy place!
Hall Courtyard. Noodler's Lexington Gray in brush, Noodler's Black in Jinhao Shark pen, Sakura Koi watercolors, Artist's Loft journal pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wash your hand -- then draw it!

I don't participate in social media during the day. By which I mean that my phone does not have any social apps and no notifications whe...