Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Tree Troubles

I love trees. As much as water and mountains. The path along the creek behind my house has been a favorite place to walk for over ten years. So, of course, I am eager to sketch the lushness of the greenery, especially the trees. But I am not happy with the squishy green mess that results.
Bridge on west end of Dog Park.
The wild Fennel has taken over the banks in the past decade.
Canson XL 140 lb paper various inks, waterbrush and ink washes.
King's Craft Coffee patio. Artist's Loft journal paper.
Inks: Noodler's Lexington Gray, Herbin Vert Empire,
Diamine Chocolate Brown

Some friends and I had a morning chat at a local coffee shop, King's Craft. They roast their own beans, the decaf is single origin Peruvian! Wonderful flavor. I had the time to sketch the greenery as we chatted for a couple hours. At least it looks like a tree, but I can't wash color into the leaves because of the thin Artist's Loft journal paper. 

East bridge and path to community park.
Various inks and watercolor pencils on Canson XL 140lb paper.
When I tried to represent the mass of trees on the east end of the path, it was overwhelming. And it was taking so long my feet were hurting! So back to the green ooze. At home I inked in suggestions of leaves, but I'm not sure it improved the effect.
Ficus tree at Poway Library. The guy on the bench
seemed to notice me sketching and moved elsewhere.
Artist's Loft journal paper, inks, watercolor pencils.

Finally. with a focus on one tree at the local library I could get the leaves instead of a mass of green ooze. But trying to sketch a forest with this many leaves is not practical. I have been reading enough books that I  hope to find the secret to sketching a mass of trees without taking half the day. The leaves in this sketch were started with Herbin Vert Empire ink (I like the green gray tone), which has a moderate level of water resistance. The trunk was inked in with Diamine Chocolate brown, that shades so beautifully when activated along one side with a thin water brush. After I got home, I added more leaves with different colors of watercolor pencil. Then my new Kuretake #8 brush pen came in the mail, so I inked it with a 50% dilution of Monteverde Malachite Green. What a lovely, leafy effect that pen and ink combo can give! Maybe I could have done without the pencils after using the brush pen. The texture doesn't match.

1 comment:

  1. Bad news: I have been struggling with trees for nearly 8 years, and it's still not easy! ;-) Good news: Study the work of Virginia Hein (https://www.instagram.com/virginiahein/). She has a beautiful way with trees!

    ReplyDelete

Wash your hand -- then draw it!

I don't participate in social media during the day. By which I mean that my phone does not have any social apps and no notifications whe...