Tuesday, October 1, 2019

#Inktober2019

Inktober is a challenge initiated by Jake ParkerEvery October, artists all over the world take on the Inktober drawing challenge by doing one ink drawing a day the entire month. Sketches are shared on-line in some way with the #Inktober. There is a list of daily sketch prompts which many sketchers use to determine what to sketch for each day. Other sketchers develop their own personal challenge theme. I have so many challenges in sketching that a personal goal seems more appropriate than using the provided prompts. I love the rich and juicy fountain pen inks in my collection. So I want to feature a different ink in each sketch. I don't have 31 different inks (at least, I don't think I do...) but I may include some brush pen sketches. What do I most want to develop this month? Shading and values. Shading is often accomplished when using ink by line hatching techniques. I made a couple sketches as a warm up to the month. I experimented in one with using two ink colors, intending the blue ink to represent the deepest shading value. It didn't really turn out as planned. So I swiped the blue with a water brush to shade it. Still not quite right.
Top- pen: WingSung 6359 (EF nib)
with Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses ink
Bottom- pens: Platinum Plaisir (03 fine nib)
with De Atramentis Document ink
Sheaffer Vintage Tuckaway (fine Triumph nib)
with Visconti Blue ink shaded with a water brush.


To better understand how to sketch with ink, I read the book "Portfolio: Beginning Pen and Ink" by Desarae Lee. I learned a lot about hatching and values (different levels of shading), but still need much practice! Two take-aways from this first sketch:
1- hatching takes a lot of time! About 3 hours for this one sketch. 
2- hatching looks best with an extra fine nib. The Lamy Left Hand nib is fine, but a German fine is a wider line than the extra fine, or a Japanese made fine nib. 
Monteverde Cherry Danish Ink is a new release that I just received from Goulet Pens. I think it is called cherry danish because when it is wet it is a much brighter red, like cherries. When dry it is more subdued in color.
#Inktober2019, October 1
Pen: Lamy Al-Star (left hand nib)
with Monteverde Cherry Danish

The mouse teapot is a purchase from my first trip to a Teavana store. It is just so cute and it fits into my small collection of yixing clay teapots. As has happened with so many retailers, Teavana was purchased by a larger company and then had all the brick and mortar stores closed. 

It will be interesting to see how I improve with a month's worth of practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wash your hand -- then draw it!

I don't participate in social media during the day. By which I mean that my phone does not have any social apps and no notifications whe...