Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Psychedelic Hamsters

I'm a child of the 60s. Not the drugs and free-love 60s, but the back-to-the-land, make your own, simple living 60s. I gravitate toward tie-dye, the more colors the better. So when I read about Koh-I-Noor Tri-Tone pencils, I had to try them. Loved them!! The colors really pop on black paper too.
Fanciful Rooster: Koh-I-Noor Tri-Tone Pencils
Canson Black Sketching paper

But wait! There's more! Why stop with 3 colors when you can have four? Or seven! Enter the seven color pencil made in Japan. I have seen these for sale on Amazon for a price that was out of my budget. Then, while surfing on eBay, I found a set of four for a dollar a piece. They are bright and creamy and have beautiful colors. Thus the psychedelic hamsters.

Sydney hamster in her psychedelic dreams.
Niji-Iro seven in one pencil
Blick Mixed-Media paper
Comparison sketch of three rainbow pencils, three layers on each ball at darkest value.
Left: Koh-I-Noor Tri-Tones; Center: Niji-Iro pencil; Right: Brilliance 4-in-1 pencil.
When I went back to eBay to buy up the rest (how long will 4 pencils last, after all?), the seller and the listing are no longer available. So I tried a couple of other offers. I have received a 4 color pencil made in China that was a big disappointment. Here is a quick comparison sketch:







Description of pencils:
Koh-I-Noor Tri-Tone pencils: Made in Czech Republic. $12.50 for 12 in a metal box (from eBay). One of the pencils is a colorless blender pencil. Each of the remaining pencils is a different combination of three colors that are randomly intermixed in the lead so that a continuous line gradually changes colors even if the pencil is not rotated. Colors are bright and creamy. The colors are banded at the end of the lacquered, natural wood colored pencil and given a poetic name like "Sunset", "Tiger", "Rainforest". Some of the combinations have striking color contrasts and some are more subtle color changes.

Niji-Iro pencils: Made in Japan. I paid $1.50 each (including shipping) from eBay, but the only comparable pencil (not labeled Niji-Iro) I see now are priced at $27.50 for 12 ($2.33 each), and they are three sided pencils. The pencils I have are round, standard sized pencils made of smooth unfinished natural wood. Otherwise the leads are arranged the same as the Amazon offering with seven colors in a pinwheel pattern. To get the best color variation, the pencil should be rotated as you write. The pigments are bright and the colors lay down rich and creamy. They came in two plastic sleeves, two pencils to a sleeve.

Brilliance 4 in 1 pencils: Made in China. $0.75 each, including shipping, from eBay. These are larger diameter than standard pencils, and the four colors are intermixed throughout the lead. The leads are waxy and hard and produce a faint line. I could not get a bright color even when layering. Not recommended. The pencils arrived in a paper envelope.


#Inktober2019 Yixing teapot sketched with
Diamine Inks: Chocolate Brown and Red Dragon.
Here is #Inktober2019 sketch of the day. I could, theoretically, sketch only pieces from my ceramic collection and have one for every day this month. But I need to use my green inks next!

And here is a picture of Sydney hamster doing her dead hamster trick.
Sydney hamster playing dead
 in protest over the heat.
When the temperature gets up above 83 degrees in the house, she presses her mouth and feet against the glass and goes all still. I had already turned on the A/C last week when she went into her drama mode. It's a good thing we have had a week of fall weather. I feel silly to use A/C just for two hamsters!


1 comment:

  1. I agree that the 7-color Japanese ones are fantastic. I got a set of 12 on Amazon that look exactly like the ones at the link you provided, but they were less than $1 each. Something is wacky about that current pricing. Try putting the product in your shopping cart for a few days and see if the price goes down... I do that a lot, and it works most of the time. Sometimes the price drop is significant. I just did that with my favorite face moisturizer, and the price went down about 30%.

    ReplyDelete

Wash your hand -- then draw it!

I don't participate in social media during the day. By which I mean that my phone does not have any social apps and no notifications whe...